Saturday 15 September 2018

Feeling all grown-up!

My most recent sewing is this shirtdress Simplicity 8014.



A shirtdress always looks crisp and smart don't you think?  So much so that I feel all grown-up when I wear this one!  I have wanted to make one for some time.   I did make the Collette Hawthorn a few years ago, but it is sadly too small now.


This one has a loose fitting bodice, pleated into the waistband.  I added the gathers at the yoke by cutting the back wider.  I cut a size 16 for my narrow shoulders, tapering out to a size 20 (eugh!) at the waist.  I did make the dress quite a bit shorter than the pattern, as I ran out of fabric!  The fabric is from Ditto Fabrics in Brighton, bought several years ago, when I decided that I ought to have a 'stash' of fabric.  That wasn't the best idea I ever had, as I don't love all the fabrics in my 'stash' now.  In fact, I was a bit dubious about this ditzy print, as I am hankering after the big blowsy prints now.  But all is well now as I love this dress!  I am looking forward to trying it with boots and a cardigan in the cooler weather.


I am not sure if you see the buttons agains the busy print, but I decided to use the wong side of some pearly buttons.  It adds to the vintage vibe of the dress.

2 comments:

  1. I love a shirt dress: they're comfortable to wear, look very smart and are flattering for all shapes and sizes. I love the fabric too. If I could sew, I'd be making quite a few of them. Well done, you! You can always make another one in a big blowsy print if that's what you're hankering after ;-) The buttons are a clever idea. It does look very vintage! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever of you to play around with the sizing and the yoke! I have a fabric stash too; fortunately it includes a few of my all-time favourite fabrics from Laura Ashley, almost too precious to use! Hubbs occasionally dares to suggest I get rid of it. I came across something most fitting about fabric stashes recently. I'll try to post it on Insta. Hugs, x.

    ReplyDelete